As we prepare to once again spend time with our family for the Thanksgiving holiday, I’m so thankful and humbled for all of the great blessings God has provided me this year including but certainly not LIMITED to these highlights:
- Still madly in love with my high school sweetheart as Mia and I celebrated our 9th year of marriage.
- Welcomed a beautiful, healthy new nephew (Lyric Eric Banks) to the family.
- Attended President Barack Obama’s Inauguration and Presidential Ball (Saw the President and 1st Lady with my own eyes!).
- Selected for the National Booker T. Washington High School Hall of Fame.
- Produced 1st MVP Fatherhood Weekend that drew over 800 people to our Fatherhood panel, Manhood 101 Conference, and Fatherhood Worship Service.
- Completed 2nd year as director of highly successful city-wide high school Pipeline + Legal Diversity Program which features inner-city students, lawyers, law schools, corporate legal departments, and judges.
- Added Oklahoma’s premier progressive Think Tank, Oklahoma Policy Institute, as a client to my Lobbying practice.
- Keynoted two (2) Achievement Week Banquets for Psi Alpha (San Antonio) and Eta Iota (Oklahoma City) Chapters of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Celebrated 9 years of running my own successful law firm.
- Appeared as a guest on Rev. Jesse Jackson’s national radio show and keynoted Rev. Jackson’s panel on Black Male Student Athletes.
- Still enjoying the love of my mother, while, unfortunately, so many of my friends and family lost theirs this year.
So while life is certainly not PERFECT or EASY…by the grace of God… it is GOOD! To show my gratitude, my goal this Thanksgiving is to show my thanks by giving a blessing to someone by DOING something for them that they can’t do for themselves. I encourage you take a brief moment to make your own list blessings and I’m sure you too will be motivated to DO SOMETHING nice for someone else!
Damario Solomon-Simmons, Esq., M.Ed.. is the managing partner of SolomonSimmonSharrock & Associates law firm and an adjunct professor of African & African-American Studies at the University of Oklahoma. His life’s mission is to inform, inspire, and empower and can be contacted at email@example.com or @solospeakstruth.