As we prepare to once again host family over for Thanksgiving tomorrow, I’m so thankful and humbled for all of the great blessings God has provided me this year including but certaintly not LIMITED to these highlights:
- Still madly in love with my high school sweetheart as Mia and I celebrated our 8th year of marriage
- Welcomed a beautiful, healthy new nephew (Lucas-Dane Banks) to the family
- Served as lead legal counsel and helped open 1st private Pediatric practice in undeserved North Tulsa (less than a mile from where I grew up) in over 20 years
- Filmed and interviewed celebrities throughout the nation for our new media project launching January 2013, including spending extended time in LA, New Orleans, and Dallas
- Launched this blog at www.solomonsimmons.com and twitter page @solospeakstruth
- Directed highly successful city-wide high school Pipeline + Legal Diversity Program
- Obtained my 1st ever fortune 500 client
- Chaired largest ever Achievement Week Scholarship and Awards Banquet for Xi Omega (Tulsa) Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Traveled to Kansas City, Missouri to attend and speak at the retirement party of my cousin Stan Ransom who gave 30 years of service to AT&T.
- Celebrated 8years of running my own successful law firm
- Found a great new church home
- Paid off my primary vehicle
- Presented a paper at the prestigious NCAA Academic Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Recovered from a scary and painful (physical and mental) bout with Bells Palsy
- Still enjoying the love of my mother, while so many of my friends and family lost theirs this year.
So while life is certainly not PERFECT or EASY…by the grace of God… it is GOOD! To show my gratitude, my goal this Thanksgiving is to show my thanks by giving a blessing to someone by DOING something for them that they can’t do for themselves. I encourage you take a brief moment to make your own list blessings and I’m sure you too will be motivated to DO SOMETHING nice for someone else!
Damario Solomon-Simmons, M.E.d., J.D., is the managing partner of SolomonSimmonSharrock & Associates law firm and an adjunct professor of African & African-American Studies at the University of Oklahoma. His life’s mission is to inform, inspire, and empower and can be contacted at email@example.com or @solospeakstruth.